life is always about the journey...

Monday, September 15, 2014

Gettin' Healthy...




My Meal Plan for this week is below....I've pinned all the recipes onto my Pinterest Board "Lose Weight Recipes" in case you want to access any of them.  

Last week I stuck to the menu plan that I wrote up HERE except on Friday night when I went out for crab legs but I kept to my 600 calorie dinner plan thanks to the Lose It app.  Its been very eye opening to keep track of every single calorie that I put in my mouth.  So far I've had NO cravings, kept to the plan and feel good (minus my core muscles being REALLY sore lol).  I'm exercising 6 days a week with combined cardio, circuit training, weights and yoga on different days and getting my 10,000 steps in with my FitBit.

*******


BTW....the mustard-maple glazed chicken recipe from last week was TOP NOTCH!
Really, really yummy and I cooked a whole pack of chicken tenderloins so I had the leftovers shredded in wraps for lunches. Mmmmm...making more this week too! Great flavor & low fat!

**********************

SOME SUZ TIPS:
Just thought I'd share a few things that I do regularly and a few things I've added to my daily list to get healthy.


DVD WORKOUTS: If you are a member of Amazon Prime then you can take advantage of Prime Instant Video if you haven't already.  There are 100's of workout videos you can stream for FREE...yup for FREE instead of buying the DVDs. They range from Jillian Michaels, to yoga, to aerobics and dance...so if you are like me and like to mix it up to prevent boredom, this is an awesome thing.  I've been streaming different yoga videos right thru my SmartTV but you can also just stream them on your laptop, ipad or phone if you want.  The Jillian Michaels Power Yoga will kick your butt...3 different levels and you will sweat like a pig LOL. I'm mixing it in with regular stretching yoga a few times a week.

**TIP--Jillian Michaels Shred for Beginners is only $3.99 to stream online. I chose to do that for 10 days because I'm coming off of surgeries and illness and can't just jump into her regular DVDs like I have in the past. This one is great for anyone that has been ill, recovering physically or just getting started.  You only need a set of light hand weights to get started. And for under $4 you can access it whenever you want...cheaper than buying the DVD.


My fave DVDs when I want to get in shape are by Jillian Michaels but I've added some Tracy Anderson workouts in too. I'm using the Abcentric Metamorphosis series by her because I tend to add weight to my middle...she has others for other body types too.  Her beginning video is good to start with and EASE you into it all.  For her videos you need ankle & wrist weights.  I try to get in 45-60 mins of mixed exercise 6 days a week...with 1 rest day.

PUT ON WORKOUT CLOTHES as soon as you get up....that is if you have nowhere to be. I don't wear my workout clothes to run errands, not my style but it may be your's and that's ok. But I know if I put on my workout clothes it helps a lot...I don't have to run upstairs to get dressed and make excuses about why I don't have time.  If I can't find 35-45 mins a day to workout even if I break it up into 2 workouts that day....then I have to re-evaluate how I'm managing my time.  So I aim to do 45 mins of workout a day and then a 30 min walk every night at a brisk pace.  So far so good....



VITAMINS & SUPPLEMENTS:  These are things I take every day whether I'm seriously working out or not.  I have a weeklong pill case that I fill up each Sunday and take them during the day..makes it easy on me to just flip it open and take what I need each day.
What Do I Take:
-Prenatal Vitamins instead of Multi-Vitamin (my dr recommended I use these for a year & NOT because I'm pregnant...no no no...lol)
-Vit D
-B-12
-Slow-Fe Iron (slow release)
-Vit C with rose hips
-Flaxseed Oil
-DHA Omega 3 Complex
-Calcium w/ Magnesium

WEIGHT LOSS APPS - If you have an iPad/Tablet or Smartphone take advantage of the free apps out there.  I reviewed a lot before I settled on two...I'm using Lose It to track my foods/calories/exercise and set goals and I ended up buying the premium part of the app for $39 for the year to sync with my FitBit.  It helps calculate how many calories a day I can have...you can barscan foods, enter restaurant foods, etc...then you can enter how much exercise you did that day.  I like to see exactly where I am and what I need to do.  You can also enter competitions like "lose 3 lbs by Columbus Day".  If I stay on track I am supposed to (haha we hope) reach my weight goal by Christmas...lawdy...the holidays are sooo hard though...gotta keep it straight LOL!  MyFitnessPal I'm using mostly for exercise...it syncs with the FitBit...sets goals for you and more.


MOTIVATIONAL MESSAGES - Every now and again I will try and share my Motivational Print-Outs I'm hanging around the house.  Sometimes its that one message, that one mantra or saying that helps you stay on course or get motivated.  I'm a big believer in the power of WORDS. My first ones are HERE if you want to use them too.  The quote above is my most FAVORITE of them all...so I ordered myself this workout top to remind myself every step of the way.


SMOOTHIES - I'm a big fan of smoothies but I try to keep them to only 1-2 a week.  Make sure that what you put in them is the purest and freshest you can get if you can.  I add some organic protein powder in mine and use Greek Yogurt as a base.  I stick to mostly fruit but I will add a scoop of organic peanut butter every now and again.

SNACKS - One of my favorite snacks is frozen white grapes in snack baggies with yogurt chips.  I make the yogurt chips myself....put your favorite yogurt (Greek for me) in a baggie with corner snipped off or Pastry Bag and squeeze small circles onto a baking pan lined with wax paper.  Then pop into freezer until frozen and add to your snack bags.  Makes a cool and healthy snack.

I also like peanut butter on bananas, Lara bars, a single string cheese, and cucumber & onion salad with balsamic vinegar helps cure a salty tooth.  If I'm craving potato chips (which are a downfall for me) I will go ahead and have 3-4...I take them out of the bag, count them and put the bag back. Usually just that small taste of chips is enough for me to be fine. I don't believe in NONE at all...I'd rather have a wee taste then think about it all day and be miserable. I don't operate well that way. And a small slice of angel cake has only 60 calories and 0.22% of fat in it,  so if you need something light & sweet, this is a good way to go.  I've cut most of the sugar from my diet but I still have a bit because I wasn't interested in going full out this time...but I try to keep it to just a couple times of week.

WATER - I drink a glass of water with lemon BEFORE every meal and snack, then drink more water during my meal. It fills you up so you don't overeat or want to grab more snacks.  I use a half of lemon in my water all day...I can't drink it all in one glass so instead I add a bit to every glass I drink.

Secrets of Lemon added to your water you may not know:
-Vit C boosts your immune system
-Aids digestion
-Helps flush toxins out of your system, stimulates your liver
-Antioxidants help keep breath fresh & skin clear
-Helps remove uric acid from your joints & helps with inflammation
-Helps fight hunger pangs

BRUSH YOUR TEETH - if you really, really have a craving & feel yourself caving...go brush your teeth with the mintiest of toothpastes.  Nothing tastes good with a fresh toothpaste mouth..guaranteed. Use this as needed ;)

TAKE A WALK-- I will take my dogs on a nice walk, come back and drink some water and usually whatever I wanted to eat isn't on my mind any more...gotta do what it takes and I have a really BAD sweet tooth sometimes. Although I haven't really found myself craving very much lately so that's a good thing!


And NEVER go in the grocery store hungry....never fix dinner when you're starving either...bad bad bad stuff happens LOL!

Have a good tip to share?  Let me know, because I'm all ears!!


Share:

1 comment

  1. Great post ... I"m on this journey with you. I started a month ago and have lost 3kg (about 6 pounds so far)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting me, I hope I made you smile or inspired you in some way! I appreciate you stopping by!

Blogger Template Created by pipdig